Agreed, my "remove is the best all-around name" was biased toward the past. We can hang tough. This isn't a huge hardship. Indeed way back in 1996 when Nick Thompson and I connected JS and Java at Netscape, some Java APIs required, e.g. file['delete']() instead of file.delete(). I wish I had not reserved property names in '95. Fixed in ES5!

/be

Mark S. Miller wrote:
I feel strongly that "delete" is the right name for this. Currently, all the method names (get, set, has, delete) relate directly to the names associated with these operations when applied to properties, making them more mnemonic.

The need to say collection['delete'](...) rather than collection.delete(...) is only a temporary measure until the ES3 browsers fade out enough to either 1) be ignored, or 2) be supported only as the target of an ES5/6 -> ES3 translation. Granted this will take years. But we'll be living with these choices for many more years after that.


On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Peter Michaux <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    The Set proposal has a "delete" method. Old ECMAScript implementations
    do not allow "delete" to appear as a bare method name like
    set.delete('foo') and it is necessary to write the awkward
    set['delete']('foo'). Because of this and knowing polyfills will be
    written to support Set in older implementations, would it be better to
    choose "remove" as the method name so that set.remove('foo') can be
    written in the older implementations? I think this would save a lot of
    unnecessary debugging for cross-browser programming.

    Peter
    _______________________________________________
    es-discuss mailing list
    [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss




--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to