On Aug 2, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

> I love the new name “template strings” for “quasi literals”. Only “tag” seem 
> inferior to “quasi handler”, because that former term is already used in HTML.

I didn't intentionally rename "quasi handler" to "tag".  I titled the section 
of the specification that defines the syntax for specifying a handler as 
"Tagged Quasis"  (after the meeting retitled to "Tagged Templates").  And used 
the terms "tagged quasi" and "untagged quasi" in the slide deck I presented at 
the meeting.

I believe I picked up the term "tag" from the BNF used on the Wiki proposal 
page 
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:quasis#literal_portion_syntax . 
It says (approximately):
  QuasiLiteral ::
             QuasiTag ` LiteralPortion QuasiLiteralTail

The term "handler" is also used in the proposal, but it doesn't appear that 
either "handler" or "tag"  was designated as the "official" terminology.

I think it is fine to refer to a function that are called when evaluating a 
template string as "template string handler". That will probably often get 
abbreviated to just "handler".

However, in talking about the syntactic forms it seems awkward to say "a 
template string with a handler" or a "handled template string".  In those 
situations it may flow better to refer to the expression that provides the 
handler value as the "tag" and hence we would say a "tagged template string".

I don't have anything invested in any of this terminology, so I'd happy to 
adjust it for something that is clearer to users. 

Allen





_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to