The original proposal was for two methods: Object.assign and Object.define.

Object.assign would pave the cowpath of all of the extend() APIs already in
circulation. We thought the precedent of not copying enumerable methods in
those cases was enough reason for Object.assign to have this behavior.

We discussed Object.define for a while, but didn't feel like there was
enough precedent either with a library function like Object.define or with
Object.defineProperty in general to make a decision here. Instead, we would
like the overall JavaScript community to hash out some approaches for
working with the new ES5 property API so we can provide something official
and solid in a future version.

--
Yehuda Katz
(ph) 718.877.1325