I personally think Scala made a good choice, because most of the time all
we are concerned with is the future.  And we can talk about futures
independently from invoking the promise analogy.  I think the promise
analogy is great, but in my opinion it can be a little bit tricky for
people to pick up.

If I were teaching this stuff, I wouldn't start with promises.  I would
start with futures and show how they are like callbacks++.  That's what
most users are looking for to begin with anyway.  Only after we'd mastered
futures would we talk about promises and their three states and remote
objects and so-on.

Also, something like a DOMFuture can be spec'd independently from any
particular (and more fully featured) promise spec.

- Kevin