Kevin Smith wrote:
I wonder: in what way does this design effectively decide the design for an existential member operator (?.)?
Adding suffix-? to the pattern language still leaves open some design decisions:

A. Whether to support suffix-? in expressions.
B. If not, whether to support ?. as a single lexeme for a saner existential operator, with censored internal-Nil.
C. If so, then ? and . compose, so: whether to expose Nil in the language.

I agree that given "yes" to A, ?. must be two lexemes and operators, one suffix-? and the other good ol' dot. But this does not imply "yes" to C.

I admit, it's cleaner and more CoffeeScript-friendly to say A="yes". That still could leave C="no", since of course (same runtime semantics as JS) CoffeeScript says "no" to C.

If it does decide the matter, then it seems like it might as well go into ES6.

That's not true. It's still more work to spec ?. as well as refutable destructuring for ES6. It requires an internal Nil (or Reference variation as Allen suggested to me). It requires grammar hassling to allow suffix-? in expressions.