David ? You said: "It could still make sense to wrap a DOM Node with a
proxy to perform [[Get]] and [[Set]], etc. but definitely not put it in the
DOM tree."

so this is the current scenario ... now, can you explain me a single case
where you would need that? If you can't use the DOM node then why would
create a proxy of one of them ? I thought you agreed on the fact new
Proxy() should throw instantly if target cannot be proxified ... in any
case, here a counter example of what you guys are discussing:

var
  o = {},
  p = new Proxy(o, {
    get: function (target, name) {
      console.log(name);
      return target[name];
    }
  })
;

p.test = 123;
p.test; // log test
o.test; // does nothing

At this point would be more like deciding if DOM should threat
internally the "o" or the "p"

Having "special privileges" it could use o directly and pass back p
when it comes to JS world. This will preserve performance. At the same
time this will make the usage of proxies in the DOM world less useful
because developers will be able to intercept only user defined
interactions with these nodes but hey, it's already better than now
where developers can create DOM proxies and use them only in RAM for
who knows which reason 'cause in the DOM, where these identities
belong, these fail.

As summary, as it is now, this from Francois is my favorite outcome from
the discussion:

I would certainly understand if the ECMAScript group settled up not to work
on Proxied native elements and specify that it should throw on creation.
However, I would advise to create an Object.hasIdentity(...) method that
returns true if the given object has a native identity

br