Tor this[symbol] = value or equivalent on one side of a membrane, followed
by this[symbol] or equivalent on the other side of the membrane, we have
the following eight cases.

For all of these, o1 is the original non-proxy thing associated with the
private properties.
p1 is the proxy result of passing o1 through a membrane
o2 is a PrivateSymbol or WeakMap
p2 is the result of passing o2 through a membrane.
  When o2 is a WeakMap, p2 is a proxy for the WeakMap.
  When o2 is a PrivateSymbol, p2 is a PrivateSymbol that the membrane
considers to correspond to o2
o3 is the original non-proxy value to be stored in this private property.
p3 is the proxy result of passing o3 through the membrane.

o1[o2] = o3; p1[p2] // undefined !== p3
o2.set(o1, o3); p2.get(p1) // p3

o1[o2] = p3; p1[p2] // undefined !== o3
o2.set(o1, p3); p2.get(p1) // o3

o1[p2] = o3; p1[o2] // undefined !== p3
p2.set(o1, o3); o2.get(p1) // p3

The remaining 5 cases are left as an exercise for the reader ;).

The reason they all work for WeakMaps is that the WeakMap itself is on one
side of the membrane and both gets and sets go there. The weakmap only sees
the thing and value on its side of the membrane. The requestor only sees
the thing and value on their side of the membrane.

The reason none of these work under proposal #2 is that the
thing[privateSymbol] operations on one side of the membrane don't make it
to the other side.

The reason none of these work under proposal #1 is that the
thing[privateSymbol] operations don't trap, and so the membrane doesn't get
to wrap or unwrap the stored value.

  Cheers,
  --MarkM