On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:43 PM, David Herman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Mark S. Miller <[email protected]> wrote: > >> I am saying collision is an issue, but that it only seems that Symbols solve >> it because we haven't yet designed the registry. So we should do so first, >> and then re-examine this question in the context of a concrete registry >> design. > > I don't think a registry design is necessary for symbols to be useful today. > > But I agree it's a fine thing to consider for future-proofing. And just to complete the point: see my earlier reply about how this allows you to abstract away the ugly GUID. It gives you the collision-avoidance and cross-realm shareability of ugly GUID's but without imposing the ugliness on every user of the symbol. Dave _______________________________________________ es-discuss mailing list [email protected] https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

