On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM, K. Gadd <k...@luminance.org> wrote:

> JSIL and embind both need arguments.length for efficient method call
> dispatch when dealing with overloaded functions. Is it your intent that all
> such scenarios must now pay the cost of creating an array (to hold the rest
> arguments) and then destructuring it, for every call? At present it's
> possible to avoid this overhead in V8 and SpiderMonkey by using
> arguments.length + arguments[n] or by using arguments.length + patterned
> argument names.

Hi Katelyn,

No one is taking arguments away. Perhaps we would if we could but we can't.
So as I said just now to Allen, if you really need to do this, go ahead and
use arguments.length.

But do you really need to do this? Assuming for a moment that we were all
agreed that the best practice is to treat absence the same as undefined,
why not go with the best practice and be done?

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM, David Bruant <bruan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Le 10/11/2013 22:19, Brendan Eich a écrit :
>>
>>  On Nov 10, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <

>>> Allen's posts make the case: webidl and varargs-style functions. Not all
>>> legacy.
>>>
>> WebIDL creates spec, not code. The language syntax doesn't need to evolve
>> for that. Allen showed that rest params+destructuring allows self-hosting
>> without |arguments|
>> Varargs functions have rest parameters.
>>
>> David

    Cheers,