On Jan 27, 2014, at 10:58 AM, David Bruant <bruan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed. Note that I didn't suggest to stop writing inline scripts and
> proposed an alternative to script@module that can work today.
> Granted, it's somewhat hacky, but I think it can work during the period
> during which there'll be both ES6 and non-ES6 browsers to support.
>
> I was sloppy in my phrasing. What we don't need is the current inline script
> "execute right now and block everything else" semantics, specifically for
> modules which order of execution shouldn't block things.

OK, sorry I jumped in the middle of things missing some context. In fact, I
think what we've been planning on proposing is not too far -- I think -- from
what you're talking about. The plan is *not* a module attribute (that was a
think-o on my part, and maybe some misinformation that crept into this
discussion earlier?) but type="module". That way on old browsers it's ignored
and you can add shims to load it. Shims can be made future-proof via feature
detection, so type="module" can obtain new semantics.

Moreover, the type="module" should not actually mean "execute right now and
block everything else," but rather "executing asynchronously once all my module
dependencies are loaded and linked."

Does that make more sense? I realize part of the issue here is there isn't a
concrete plan or proposal that's been spelled out, it's just been informal
discussions. That's on us, the modules champions, to put forward a proposal for
web (i.e. non-Ecma) standardization ASAP. Yehuda's going to be in town for TC39
this week, so he and I will sit down and do an informal write-up so people can
see the plan more clearly, while we work on a fuller proposal for
standardization.

Dave