On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Note, though, that you can still have consensus*and*  strong
>> objections.  Design-by-committee is still a failure mode to be
>> avoided.
>
> Excellent point. Argues against "do both". Can't ditch .then/resolve given
> library code interop constraint. That forces the conclusion from last week's
> meeting.
>
> What do you think at this point? My Futures cereal next year will be
> delicious and nutritious!

I still think it's a mistake, and though most APIs won't care as they
won't produce nested promises, some types of APIs *will* be negatively
affected in hard-to-workaround ways.

But I also respect champion-based design, and I've talked with Alex
Russell who believes it's not as huge an impediment to some of our
planned APIs as I believed.  (Fixing it does involve magic, or
subclassing, but those are things that can be done internally, rather
than exposed to authors as terrible API.)

~TJ