Alex Kocharin wrote:
Also, "es1000 sloppy" is a very bad idea. We should have one javascript mode. Two modes as of now bring no value, it just makes compilers more complex, and spec more lengthy for no reason. By the time es8 comes out, it should really deprecate either strict mode or sloppy mode, so the next javascript engine will be able to ditch it.

You seemed to miss the part where Mark wrote "The web seems unable to shed its past." Or as browser vendors say (because they lose share when they do it, generally), "don't break the web".

This doesn't mean strict mode failed. It does mean no-mo'-modes. We shouldn't add any more slop. We'll have to live with 'var'. I have made my peace with it (turd that it is).