Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
I really don't understand ...

I'm pretty sure you do understand -- you just don't like it.

The annual cycle may fail, but that would be "bad". If it works out, we could still continue with ES6, 7, 8, etc.

I'm leery of revolutionary fanaticism of the kind that led the French revolutionaries to invent new month names. Perhaps we're overreaching by declaring ES2015 before we've even wrapped up ES6, never mind implemented all of it in top browsers! You could be calling b.s. on this, please tell me if I'm "warm".

Anyway, I agree "ES6" is out there. I cited kangax.github.io, and of course you're right, there are other sites and tutorials. The ES5/6/... pattern won't go away over night, no matter what bloody revolutionaries try to enact :-|.

This should keep everyone from charging ahead with renaming right now. We need to socialize the annuals idea more, and actually hit the schedule. At that point we *will* have ES6 = ES2015, ES7 = (probably) 2016, etc. -- twice the number of names to keep straight.