From: es-discuss [mailto:es-discuss-boun...@mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Axel
Rauschmayer

> I don’t care what ES7 is called, but I have to decide soon on what to put on
> the cover of an ES6 book and that cover will either be inspired by a 6 or by
> a 2015.

ES 2015 is the official name of the spec. Various people will probably still
call it ES6 for a while. (I know it hasn't become automatic for me to type
yet.) It might be hard for your readers to Google and find the official spec if
you use "ES6", but they'll probably find other resources more readily, at least
for now.

In general I think you're in trouble if you're trying to tie your book
marketing to version numbers. _Maybe_ naming a book after, say, C# 5 makes
sense, since C# is essentially bundled with single-vendor Visual Studio
releases and each version is implemented all at once. But even then, the old
books I have on my bookshelf are named things like "C# in Depth" and "More
Effective C#," and get edition updates as Microsoft spins out new versions. For
the web, such a naming scheme makes even less sense. Features on the web are
implemented piecemeal from draft specifications and/or living standards, and
updated over time, and there is never a cross section of ES you can point to in
real-world implementations and say "this is ES 2015".

Books purporting to cover "HTML5" or "CSS3" are a joke. The same is true for ES
2015, or ES 2016.