On 3/10/15, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still having hard time understanding what's the difference between
> contains and the good old indexOf beside the RegExp check ... but I agree
> having multiple explicit searches instead of multiple implicit searches
> won't make such big difference. Good news is, you probably will still use
> RegExp anyway because names can be composed and haveing a \bName\b helper
> is probably what you might need anyway :-)
>
> i.e. Maria !== Marianne

What if Array had a contains or containsAll functions?

 var s = "Maria, Mariana";
 var a = s.split(/\s*,\s*/);
 ["Maria", "Mariana"].every(e=>{return a.indexOf(e)!=-1});
 true

But a `contains` function might be better than indexOf

 ["Maria", "Mariana"].every(e=>{return a.contains(e)});

But `containsAll` might be even better.

 a.containsAll(["Maria", "Mariana"]) seems even easier to read for me.

There is already `filter` for exclusions. What about merging arrays?

Array.union(array2, array3, ...);

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Bergi <a.d.be...@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Edwin Reynoso wrote:
>>
>> > There are times where I would like to check whether a string has every
>> > occurrence of certain strings/numbers:
>> >
>> > Now to achieve what I would like `String.prototype.includes` to
>> accomplish
>> > with an array as the first parameter, I currently take the following
>> > approach:
>> >
>> > var str = "John,Mary,Bob,Steve";
>> > var names = ["Mary", "Bob"];
>> > names.every(name => str.includes(name)); // true;
>>
>> And that's perfectly fine imho, pretty expressive about what is done
>> about
>> the array. Just passing an array to `.includes` is rather meaningless
>> (not
>> denotative).
>>
>> If we need a method to do this (to allow for native optimisations with
>> fancy string search algorithms), I'd suggest to use a different method
>> name
>> like `String.prototype.includesAll`.
>>
>>  Bergi

Garrett