> As such I think our best bet is for server-side JS runtimes to use `self`
or `window`.

I personally hope that would never happen, and you managed to over-engineer
the simplest alignment requirement I could possibly think of ... indeed ...

> We might as well move it into the set of terms like "realm" or "vat" or
"environment" that are more abstract than real.

a new term like realm will just create more fragmentation =>
https://xkcd.com/927/ + there's no such thing on server side, at least not
the same there is on front end

vat is at least semantic in this case since it means Value-Added Tax ...
but I am back to previous point

environment is confusing with `process.env`

Let's avoid the introduction of more problems please ... I rather leave
things as it is since we are unable to be pragmatic, no matter how straight
forward is the solution.