That is one of my ongoing works. I have been studying such an
unambiguous spec as:

1) backreference numbers are always assigned to capturing parentheses
   left-to-right, even in lookbehinds. For example,
     /(?<=((.)(.))(.))./.exec("abcdef")
   returns
     ["d", "ab", "a", "b", "c"].

2) A backrefernce can refer to the corresponding capturing parenthesis
   if the former occurs to the left of the latter, when both they exist
   in the same lookbehind.

These are based on the behaviours of .NET's lookbehinds. However, I am
unsure if we have already got a spec that works completely, in
particular, even when lookarounds, capturing parentheses, and
backreferences nest each other.

There is also a compact version, which is similar to Claude's spec:
http://www.akenotsuki.com/misc/srell/en/lookbehinds-spec-c.html

Nozomu