On 12/11/2015 13:16, Nozomu Katō wrote:
I wonder if the person who wrote the spec for RegExp is on this list. I
would like to ask one question: Was there any reason why the following
steps were defined in the present order:

21.2.2.4 Alternative
   The production Alternative :: Alternative Term evaluates as follows:
   1. Evaluate Alternative to obtain a Matcher m1.
   2. Evaluate Term to obtain a Matcher m2.

instead of:

   The production Alternative :: Term Alternative evaluates as follows:
   1. Evaluate Term to obtain a Matcher m1.
   2. Evaluate Alternative to obtain a Matcher m2.

or, was it a matter of preference? If any side effect I am missing
exists in the latter order, I need to reconsider or abandon my compact
version.

Those appear to have equivalent behavior.  I just picked one when writing the
RegExp spec.

    Waldemar