Efficiency and optimization. If you're stupid enough to want to violate
those priorities in a public API, it's your own fault. But if you want to
optimize updating a collection (i.e. zero allocation update for a
persistent map) or increment a vector by another without having to create
an intermediate vector, you'll want to implement the assignment operator as
well as the standard math operator.