The issue with that, though, is returning `undefined` is really no different to
returning `null` in a sense. Null is considered bad because errors can crop up
from not handling null as a return value from a function. Using `undefined`
does not solve the problem. It also isn’t able to explain the failure if there
could be multiple reasons.

But in cases where we do want to identify the reason for a failure and it’s not
necessarily exceptional, ES does not currently provide a standard way to handle
such an instance. Over the years, I’ve gone for using try..catch anyway in such
instances, but many of my colleagues would disagree.