On 27 July 2017 at 12:07, Mark <m...@heyimmark.com> wrote:

> I think it is a mistake to assume that a developer has a right to always
> have optimal performance without requiring anything to get it.  It almost
> sounds like you're saying that there should be no cost to the consumer for
> choosing not to evolve with the language.

In an ideal world, I would agree. But that's not how the game theory works
out on the web. What Brendan already pointed out wrt breaking sites also
applies to performance regressions: if Joe User observes that a website
suddenly got notably slower with a new version of their browser then they
will blame the browser. That effect is further elevated by tech reviews
often performing measurements with hopelessly outdated benchmarks. So no
browser vendor can afford significant regressions, unless they have an urge
to look bad in public perception.