On Jul 27, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Andreas Rossberg <rossb...@google.com> wrote:

> That is not always true. For example, ES6 has caused some notable performance
> regressions for ES5 code initially, due to extensions to the object model
> that made it even more dynamic. The new @@-hooks were particularly nasty and
> some cases required substantial amounts of work from implementers just to get
> back close to the previous baseline performance. Parsing also slowed down
> measurably. Moreover, many features tend to add combinatorial complexity that
> can make the surface of "common cases" to optimise for in preexisting
> features much larger.

I’ve noticed chrome 59 freezing more when initially loading pages.  Maybe its
due to performance-penalty of extra parser complexity, maybe not.  Also, the
chrome-based electron-browser has gotten slower with each release over the past
year, when I use it to test mostly es5-based browser-code.  Can’t say about the
other browser-vendors as I don’t use them as much.