>From a quick read, I'm more in favor of something that's a little more
restricted to start, something like what Python has. Python has optional
static type annotations, but the Python interpreter just ignores them. They
are present purely for the purposes of tooling, and are silently ignored at
runtime.

Conversely, PHP took a similar approach and initially also made it cosmetic
to start, only later taking advantage of *some* type annotations by adding
runtime behavior to some of the simpler ones (like primitives).

One of the reasons why I'd prefer a simpler approach to start is that
TypeScript and Flow, the two main implementations that add syntax, have a
*very* similar syntax, but have several nuances that would make a heavier
proposal much harder to accomplish:

- Flow has `?Foo` for optional types, TypeScript just uses unions.
- TypeScript has mapped/index types, where Flow uses special named types.
- Flow allows omitted parameter names in function types, TypeScript only
allows named parameters with implicit `any` types.
- Flow has exact types, TypeScript doesn't.
- Flow has `opaque type`, TypeScript only has `type`.
- Flow constrains with `T: Super`, TypeScript uses `T extends Super`.
- Flow has 3 different ways of importing bindings a module (depending on
what's being imported), TypeScript only has one.
- Flow has existential types, TypeScript doesn't.

Also, both TypeScript and Flow are still working out how to properly type
some of the more advanced JS (like variadic functions and auto-curried
functions), so their syntax is *still* not exactly stable enough I'd feel
comfortable encoding much into the spec. (They do have a stable core,
though.)

One other thing is that multiple active proposals could end up requiring TS
and/or Flow to substantially change parts of their syntax, including:

- Private [fields][1] and [methods][2] (stage 3 and 2 respectively, affects
TS)
- [First class protocols][3] (stage 1, affects both TS and Flow)
- [Typed literals][4] (stage 1, affects TS mostly)

[1]: https://github.com/tc39/proposal-class-fields
[2]: http://github.com/tc39/proposal-static-class-features/
[3]: https://github.com/michaelficarra/proposal-first-class-protocols
[4]: https://github.com/mikewest/tc39-proposal-literals