I remember dealing with this with Blender's scripting system.  Way back in
the beginning of the open-source era we had a FAQ item on our website
saying users could make commercial plugins for Blender, only to discover
that apparently the FSF disagrees.  In the eyes of the FSF, plugins/scripts
"form one program."  If we had learned of this earlier on, we might have
actually changed Blender's license to something other than GPLv2, but
unfortunately it was too late for that.