I mean that all names are in some namespace, and the name you
think of as "isNaN" is really "null::isNaN", where null represents
a "compatibility namespace", to pick something less ambiguous than
"eval".

> Is the following legal ES4:
>
> (x null::< y)
>
> (I would have thought no.)

Not at present, and not previously.

> Do operator identifiers (like '<') name syntactic bindings?

No.

> Or maybe the term 'operator' is being used equivocally here?

Operator in the sense that '<' is syntax that causes the language
implementation to operated upon values, but there is no operator
overloading and no syntactic bindings for operators at present.
(They were in for a while, and operators were in the intrinsic
namespace: intrinsic::=== for example.)

--lars