On 3/26/2008, "Douglas Crockford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think this is the specific point of disagreement. Complexity in a language
>does not necessarily reduce the complexity of programs. I think the opposite
>may
>be truer. The difficulties we have had in the development community since

I think this is THE point of prose rather than technique in that I can
argue either side.
An example is Microsoft’s LINQ - it is already implemented in .Net 3.5.
I can do the same effects using delegates to static IEnumerable in older
versions of .Net but it would take me several (dozen) more lines of
code.  When compiled, the result may be the same, but my implementation
may not be standard.  (Doing it my own way may allow me to discover
something better, but that is another discussion)

I respect both sides:  I trust Brendan as the language designer, but I
can not get over Doug’s fear of ‘The Ghost of Netscape’.

Let us take action instead of throwing opinions around:
Brendan: What new features that can not be implemented via code
constructs now?
Doug: Please give concrete example of YUI code that accomplishes
something proposed

Then we, as computer SCIENTISTS can calculate the complexity ratio of
code vs. language implementation.  We could keep on arguing about speed
and best specific algorithms after that if you want.

Ric