My views on this are:

- There should be only *one* syntax for specifying namespaces in definitions.
It shouldn't be
  ns::foo = xyz
in one place (object initializers) and
  ns var foo = xyz
someplace else (variable definitions).

- The historical reason I chose the syntax
  ns var foo = xyz
for ES4 was that I allowed the same definition to simultaneously go into
several namespaces:
  ns1 ns2 ns3 var foo = xyz
would create ns1::foo, ns2::foo, and ns3::foo, which would be aliases of the
same variable (not three different variables).  ES4 doesn't support that any
more, so this reason goes away and the issue can be reconsidered.

Now that the issue has been brought up, I'm warming up to the syntax
  var ns::foo = xyz
everywhere.  It's simpler to remember.  It doesn't match Java, but if that were
a goal then we should first change our type annotation syntax to that of C++
and Java.

    Waldemar