It sounds like the project has been going down the road of decoupling the UI
from the backend for a while, resulting in a situation where we are pretty
close to having the ability to use a generic UI took like Atlas to build the
canonical front-end for ESME.
I assume that the interaction between the Atlas-built front-end and the ESME
server would be based on either the existing public API or a private API.
I'm not sure if this is the case, but maybe David can clarify.

Would it be of interest to the group to pursue a course of action in which
the ESME UI interacts only with publicly defined API methods (with the
possible exception of authentication)? This might help drive the evolution
of the API. It could also make it easier to have interchangeable UIs, so we
don't end up in UI limbo whenever a major change to the UI is proposed and
so that enterprise implementors can have an easier time deploying
custom(ized) UIs.

I'm going to start working on an ESME wrapper using YQL that will call the
API pretty soon now, so hopefully that will help drive the API development a
bit as well, but I figure the more people developing against the API the
better.

Ethan