From: James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 12:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kernel panic!

I'm trying to install any version of Linux, but most recently I'm trying
to install an iso of Mandrake 7.0.  I have been having problems
installing
for the last couple of weeks, and this is the most common error I get
when
trying to install or boot Mandrake:

"Unable to handle Kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
0000002a"
"Kernel panic: attempt to kill the idle task"

I have tried a new hard drive, and new motherboard.  I have even taken
the new hard drive and installed it in my windows box and was able to
install Mandrake 7.0, but when I reboot (while it is still in the
windows
box) I get an "Primary HDD error" then I hit F1 to proceed and it tells
me
I don't have the appropriate boot disk in.  Why would I need a boot disk
to start an already installed Linux?

If I take that same HD and move it over to my future Linux box, I get
the
error I first posted when starting up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

james