John,
        Sax is a pretty good tool for cofigureing X, however it isnt the
only one. you may want to try xf86config (or is that XF86Config?), or
XF86setup, however sax is much easier!
        It should not be necessary to delete any config files, sax should
ask you if you want to use the existing config, answer no, and it should
create one based on your choices during sax.
        SuSE makes a halfway decent book that comes with the distribution,
you might consult it, or www.suse.com

Jamie

  2:32am  up 120 days, 12:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.13, 0.04, 0.01