This may be good for running a firewall or a webserver from, although kbob's point is
very good.  Difficult to patch when exploits are found.

However, cracking a firewall or a webserver is rarely the goal (for larger companies,
and for really serious crackers).  The real goal is that database full of customer
credit cards behind the webserver and the firewall.  The firewall and webserver are
merely the portals into your network.  They are gateways into the pot of gold inside.
That's one of the key things we are trying to protect: information.  A website
defacement is not really a big deal, although it is bad for PR.

Other goals may be to crack your system in order to use it as a spam gateway for a few
hours, or to install DDoS tools to make your system part of a larger attack.  Or your
system may just be a gateway for an attacker to crack into government or international
systems.  This is where you need the firewall logs (difficult to log onto a
non-writeable system), and a patchable system.

Cory