Dexter,
Let me start by saying that I DO enjoy and appreciate your detailed
problem descriptions --and sometimes success report, i.e. how you got the
CD burner working.

Also my first response was that bits and bytes on your HD are slowly
crumbling away. However, if Jamie's remarks regarding "unlinked boot
block" solved your problem my comments below are mute (I wrote them
before reading the whole story)
Such HD problems can be intermittent and non-reproducible, and may not
always be caught by/during checks (that's just my guess). The only way I
could identified that once on my HD (and a flaky ZIP drive too) was by
making a binary file comparison of the offending files reported, using an
earlier backup.
For backups I usually tar up entire directory branches or partitions of a
working installation I feel is worth keeping, e.g.
tar -czf distroX_hdbN_boot_date-plusmore.tgz /boot
 (since I am too lazy to keep notes I put all I need to know into the file
name)
 There are tons of options documented for the tar command and various ways
of doing that, but one warning:  you may want to uncompress into a
sub-directory for such comparison.

How old is your HD ?  Is it working hard ? (e.g. swap operations)
If the HD is going bad there is no point in wasting time on a detailed
analysis.

My 5c ............................ Horst (on digest).