Cory Petkovsek wrote:

> 100baseTX: theoretical max speed (half duplex): 100Mb/sec / 8 = 12.5MB/sec
> My laptop ide harddrive (read): 16.45 MB/sec
>
> A single harddrive will be able to handle network traffic in most cases.

The problem is that many real workloads require the disk to seek.  If
your laptop drive's average seek time is 8 milliseconds, then a seek
takes as long as transferring 135 Kbytes of data.

The worst case is when you seek before each read or write.  Then you
can only transfer 125 blocks per second.  (I'm being intentionally
vague about the size of a block.)

In many cases, a disk is much slower than a 100 Mbit ethernet.

> The console tool I used to monitor my traffic is iptraf.

Cool.  Who knew?

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]