Like the other mike mentioned... its really the bios/cdrom drive that make the
difference, but I think what your saying is  anything new enough to take a
266mhz cpu would likely be new enough to have a bios that does have a cdrom
boot option.
        However... its still pretty buggy, and I assume he wants to run this box 24/7
w/out rebooting if possible (only in emergency, and unatended). Ive used some
suse systems that run from cdrom (but leave a small file on the windows
partion for config  info) and slackware  "live" cd, and  they both suffer
stability issues (i belive its  something to do with a cdrom read speeds or
something..) they are great fun, and a really good way to show people linux
w/out messing upt their existing systems but they crash when used for
extended  periods of time.. its just not stable. many older hard drives are
really ruggeed and sturdy... (ive got some that have been tossed around in
the back of my car, and they still work fine!) (note: do not try this with
new drives, they are very sensitive to shock! )

Jamie