Thanks, Garl, this is a neat X trick, I wonder where it's documented.  I knew
about these keys, described in `man XFree86`, but the mouse emulator is a new
one to me:

Multiple key presses recognized directly by XFree86 are:

       Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
               Immediately  kills  the  server  --  no  questions
               asked.  This can  be  disabled  with  the  DontZap
               XF86Config(5x) file option.

       Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus
               Change  video  mode  to  next one specified in the
               configuration file.  This can be disabled with the
               DontZoom XF86Config(5x) file option.

       Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus
               Change video mode to previous one specified in the
               configuration file.  This can be disabled with the
               DontZoom XF86Config(5x) file option.

       Ctrl+Alt+F1...F12
               For  BSD  and  Linux systems with virtual terminal
               support, these keystroke combinations are used  to
               switch to Virtual Console 1 through 12.