It's not a KDE setting... It works even if there's no window manager
loaded at all.  I think it's a xkb setting, there are a _lot_ of
configuration files under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/

These are all included in the rpm for XFree86-4.2.0-8.

My /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 includes:
        Option  "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option  "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option  "XkbLayout"     "us"