There's a CS Colloquium at the U Thursday afternoon.  Sounds like an
interesting topic.

----- Forwarded message from Cheri Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

From: Cheri Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:53:16 -0800
Subject: UO CIS Colloquium, Thursday, October 30
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Swarming: Peer-to-Peer Content Distribution for the Masses

Professor Daniel Zappala
Computer Science, University of Oregon

ABSTRACT

Most web sites run by "ordinary" users are not able to serve high volumes
of traffic, since doing so requires spending thousands of dollars, either
for a faster Internet connection or for a Content Distribution Network. In
this talk I will discuss swarming, a new content delivery system that is
based on peer-to-peer file transfer. With swarming, any client that has
downloaded even a portion of a file may serve that portion to other
clients. This means that the capacity of a swarming system actually
increases as more clients join the system. I will present recent results
from our performance evaluation of swarming, illustrating the benefits and
limitations of a basic swarming protocol and identifying several key
opportunities for performance improvements. I will also use swarming as a
motivating example of the power of peer-to-peer applications and outline
future directions for my research.

DATE:   Thursday, October 30, 2003
TIME:   3:30 p.m. talk, refreshments following talk
PLACE:  220 Deschutes Hall (Colloquium Room), University of Oregon

Cheri Smith             Undergraduate Coordinator
Computer & Information Science  Phone:  (541) 346-1376
1202 University of Oregon       E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eugene, OR  97403-1202  Fax:  (541) 346-5373

Office Hours:  Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. -
5:00 p.m.

----- End forwarded message -----

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]