On Sunday 16 November 2003 03:33 am, T. Joseph Carter wrote:
: > well... I was thinking about DVD players mostly... every laptop Ive
: > looked at recently has DVD (not RW), and CDRW, most are built in, but
: > some are removable. The Dell (even the $600 one) did have many optical
: > drive options (no extra charge) of DVDR, CD/DVD, CDRW, or CD. I think the
: > DVDR was 4x, CD/ DVD was 24x RW, 8x DVD read I think. anyway you get the
: > picture...
:
: I have a hard time accepting that there is no extra charge given that the
: choice then would be DVD+-RW, just as it would be for a desktop.  (The
: drives are getting cheaper on the desktop - cheaper enough that that IS
: the standard choice for a new machine anymore.)

dell didnt have much details in the dropdown menu list... but I think the
DVDR(w?) was a very low end one, if you chose dvd/cdrw, it was fairly decent
(like 8xDVD, 24x cdrw), and the plain cd was 48 or 52x).

I wasnt really looking for DVD+-RW for the laptop... but that doesnt mean they
arent out there, I was primarily looking at new laptops w/warrently under
$1k. with a laptop that price, a USB DVD burner would be a decent option.
For the same cost of the mac laptop (non-student price), Im sure you can find
them with the burner built in, but havnt looked.

: > If you buy a laptop with removable optical drive bay, you can replace it
: > with whatever comes out next year... or even use it as a extra battery
: > slot, or floppy, ... many of the sub $1000 laptops are all in one units,
: > with no removable drives, but not all.
: > How comfortable the keyboard/pointer is probably a better reason to buy
: > one laptop over another IMHO.
:
: That was one of the reasons why I bought the (more expensive) Powerbook.
: The iBook just didn't have as nice a keyboard.  Avoid Gateway notebooks,
: their keyboards are crap.  Dell too bad - pretty similar to the iBook.
: IBM is supposed to have better, though I haven't tried their latest
: models.  Their older keyboards were better, but they were also
: substantially thicker than the current models.

I used an older IBM last summer, and even though it wasnt a fast computer, I
did like the keyboard and display on it... it was arpox 300mhz, so its
probably a few years old. nice key size, and action on the keys. the mousepad
was decent too, but ive used better.

I did find an averatec at staples, and like they key size, placement and
action (except the puny space bar and hard to reach backspace). I found the
mousepad way too far from the keyboard though... hard to use w/out completely
taking your hands off the keys (ie using your thumb.)

but other than that it was pretty nice, real light and thin, decent display.
its kind of a small display, but then, its a small computer!

Jamie

:
: EuG-LUG mailing list
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: http://mailman.efn.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/eug-lug

--
...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).