On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 08:50:16PM -0800, T. Joseph Carter wrote:

> Actually, I went ~x86 in order to try and solve that problem.  It had
> mixed results (solved some, created others..)  I mostly stopped updating
> anything that didn't need to be updated to fix a problem or security hole.

I think the better thing to do is copy the masked ebuilds that you want
to PORTDIR_OVERLAY and unmask them there, instead of global unmasking.

I've noticed that some masked ebuilds rely on library versions of other
packages that don't even have masked ebuilds, as well as libraries that
have API changes that are not accounted for in masked ebuilds for
packages that use those libraries.  Obviously, that makes things _very_
unstable.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>