On Monday 24 November 2003 05:12 pm, T. Joseph Carter wrote:
: On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:06:02AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
: > My P4P800 motherboard has two SATA connectors.  Does that mean
: > I could hook up a max of two SATA drives to it?
:
: Yes, just two drives.  You've got a hybrid system with the typical
: limitations of hybrid systems: the new technology is supported, but you
: will find ourself wanting an upgrade when the new technology becomes the
: standard one.
:
: Seven years ago I bought my first system with PCI slots.  There were three
: common standards of the time for improving ISA: EISA, VLB, and PCI.  VLB's
: time had since passed and, and it was common still to see boards with two
: ISA, two EISA or VLB, and two PCI.  The PCI on these boards was so-so, and
: there were only two.  PCI-only boards were unheard of (and technically
: speaking still are for ia32 machines which still provide an ISA bridge for
: AT keyboards, PS/2 mice, and floppy drives..)  But still, ISA implemented
: as a bridge to PCI allowed PCI to be the dominant system architecture and
: its performance has been good enough until now.

What about MCA <shivver!>
we wont mention the oddball ones like std-32 or pc104....

:
: At that time, I had the foresight to buy a board with only two ISA slots
: and four PCI.  They were rare in those days.  Very rare.  Two years
: later it was still common to see three ISA slots, though it was no longer
: uncommon to have only two.  It didn't matter, though, because the PCI was
: not constrained by ISA.
:
:
: SATA on your board is constrained both by IDE and by PCI.  There;s no help
: for it I'm afraid.  Look for PCI-X systems with SATA in the near future to
: provide more ports and more throughput than either IDE or PCI.
:
: EuG-LUG mailing list
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: http://mailman.efn.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/eug-lug

--
> Linux is not user-friendly.
It _is_ user-friendly.  It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
        -- Seen somewhere on the net