Dirk, I remember you were interested in playing CD's -- and wondering if
this box has done it before?  If it is a new one, or especially a self-built
one, you might want to make sure the audio cable is connected between the
internal CD drive and the sound card... that is, *if* you want to play CD's
you pop in there, without ripping them first.  There is a way to play CD's
from the bitstream off the disc (using the OS and CPU), but when you play
direct there is no CPU involved AFAIK, except for player and mixer controls.

best of luck,

   Ben

PS - please keep us updated with any fedora issues you come across, I'm
interested in what your experience with it is.