And the great thing about knoppix is that you can
run it from the hard disk by using knx-hdinstall
which puts it on the hard disk.

And if you build an image of the disk that you want, and
you use that to create UML instances, then you can drive
the whole thing from the disk, get the speed you want,
and get the instant recovery when the system is rebooted /restarted.

Bob Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % toman wrote:
 %
 % > I'm helping the Cottage Grove Library update their web browsing
 % > kiosk machines.  Right now they're Win95 using IE5 and the
 % > librarians are having a hard time keeping up with all the cookies,
 % > popups, bannerware, etc. that Windows boxes attract. So I'm looking
 % > for Linux based solutions that reduce or eliminate the maintenance
 % > that the librarians have to do once I've configured it. Ideas?
 %
 % KNOPPIX.  Boots from CD, reinitializes all its state when you reboot.
 % Full-featured and end-user friendly.  Works well as a web browser, or
 % for simple document prep (word processing, Gimp, ...)
 %
 % However, KNOPPIX, in its normal form, isn't locked down at all.
 % Either the librarians are okay with patrons having a fully functional
 % computer, or you'd have to remaster it to strip out features.
 %
 % Also, running from CD is slower than running from disk.  If you don't
 % have to remaster, though, you could have them up and running with
 % little more work than burning a stack of CDs.
 %
 %
 % --
 % Bob Miller                              K<bob>
 % kbobsoft software consulting
 % http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet