The suits aren't tethered, space flight in its current form is dangerous.
tell ya what lets work out how dangerous, does anyone know how
many people have been in space ? in total 10 people have died
in spaceflight (interestingly enough all 10 died during the ascent/descent
phase  -7 on challenger and 3 on a russian flight that depressurised on
re-entry). i suppose the only real reason they demand astronauts be
in peak condition is that if someone was to die in space from natural
causes (e.g. heart attack) think of how much answering of difficult
questions nasa would undergoe. not just anyone can go through high
g flight.
Niall

Space and Astronomy Online - A website for Irish and UK Astronomers.
HTTP://homepage.eircom.net/~niallglynn/home.htm

> It seems like a lot of what astronauts do involves really just the rigors
of
> the high-G ascent and descent, during which time they're strapped down.
The