In a message dated 1/12/2001 1:59:35 PM Alaskan Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I have also been loooking at what sort of training the astronauts have to
go
> through in case they have to abort a mission. Between the jungle survival
> courses, the desert survival courses, and the ocean survival courses, they
> would have to combine the strengths of a test pilot with those of a Navy
SEAL.

Various mandatory survival training courses are kind of obsolete in a time of
global positioning finders.  Seems to me if you crash, and possibly survive,
you'll land in the ocean, where all the jungle training in the world isn't
going to work.  If you land in the ocean, you've got about 3 days before
dehydration kills you.

Jungle training?  Desert training?  Give me a break.  You crash, you die.  If
you somehow miraculously survive a high-G re-entry, you'll probably be
found... they'll either find you by GPS, or by simply following the meteor
trail your disintegrating spacecraft makes on re-entry.

So... tell me again that all that fancy training isn't something like Latin
and Greek for Doctors and Lawyers... great for impressing the rubes.

-- JHB