From: Robert J. Bradbury [mailto:bradbury@;aeiveos.com]
Sent: Monday 28 October 2002 09:25
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Some more thoughts on Proteus/IcePIC

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Shouldn't we include in our goals a cryobot and hydrobot that could test
for
> life in a place like Lake Vostok?

The folks from NSF/NASA are working on this.  Its been an ongoing effort
for a decade or more.  Serious scientists will scream very loudly if a
bunch of amateurs crack the Lake Vostok seal.  Its considered a pristine
sealed "time capsule" environment and a lot of work has/is been/being
done to determine how to open it without contaminating it.

I believe the past ice-core efforts have drilled to within a few hundred
meters of its surface but have explicitly stopped to avoid contamination.

(That is even if you could get a permit to operate a machine over Lake
Vostok.  I believe its in the Russian section of Antarctica and so you
would have to get approval from their officials.  Thats about as probable
as a snowstorm in hell.)

Robert