From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:owner-europa@;klx.com]On Behalf Of Bruce
Moomaw
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:23 PM
To: Europa Icepick
Subject: Re: Test beds of ice

----- Original Message -----
From: "Schmidt Mickey Civ 50 ES/CC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 7:23 AM
Subject: Test beds of ice

> How much ice depth are we looking at for a test?  I see from some
> discussions we are talking about a model around 8" in diameter. There must
> still be block ice producers in some large city that make large chunks of
> ice (for ice sculptures, if nothing else). Perhaps one of them could be
> approached to construct a large column of ice in a freezer for test
> purposes. They would get some notoriety, a tax break, and make a
> contribution to science. If our model were not too long, as it melts
through
> a first block of ice a second block could be put in place beneath it as it
> melted its way through each block. This would give the effect of a very
> large ice depth depending upon how long everyone was willing to
participate.
> Benefits of this idea: - access to power, convenient to transportation, a
> laboratory setting, and a lot less cost involved than trekking to the
wilds
> of Washington or Alaska.

Yes, by gum!  If we're going to do this at all, this is definitely the way
it should be done.  It allows detailed observations, recovery of the Cryobot
(impossible otherwise), and the ability to run different types of tests on
it repeatedly using different techniques and design modifications.  It
would, in fact, allow the unification of my proposal for specific tests on
specific problems, with everyone else's desire for something non-esoteric
and dramatic to show the public.