In a message dated 11/1/2002 8:35:06 AM Alaskan Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

A. Project Management
   Does anyone out there have project management software? I think we're at a
point where we'll need some scheduling, like a PERT or GANTT chart. We're not
designing the Polaris submarine or the Titan IV, but if we don't get some sort
of scheduling we'll lose track of where we are and what needs to be done next.
Examples:
1. What is it? (Ex: Aluminum tube 3' long x 8" diameter)
2. Where do we get it?
3. Who gets it?
4. How much does it cost? (or, where does the $$ come from?)
5. How do we install it? (Ex. Battery; guidance system)
6. When do we need it?
And so on.

I don't know if we need actual software for this, as Dennis seems to be pretty organized already.  But, if that's what you and Dennis decide, that's what we do.

B. Money
   This is going to cost something. Joe Latrell has indicated he might be able
to invest a few bucks, and maybe the rest of us could do the same.
   Proposal:
   I set up a bank account for a different purpose that has now been finished.
I could re-name the account, or open a new one with Wells Fargo Bank just for
this project. If 10 of us could put in $50, that would give us $500 to work
with and no one would have to cough up much. If you can't do $50, then any
amount (or more!) would work. If anyone buys anything for the project, tell me
how much you spent and I'll send you a check drawn on our account. I can keep
the books to insure proper accounting. Might be proper to have 2 signatures,
but that's up to the group--that would slow reimbursement down some, but some
might feel more secure knowing that I don't have sole access to the account.
Let me know if this is OK.

I thought of something like that myself.  Attorneys often set up 'escrow' accounts to hold client monies in similar fashion.  However, I'm in Alaska, and the main group is in the central US, so it's probably best to base it there.

If you need my help, signatures, etc, let me know.

Wells Fargo is a major bank in the US, so it should be alright for our purposes.  If it is not too much trouble, perhaps we could arrange it so that any contributor can look at the balance at any time, simply by making a request with Wells Fargo.  That is, we would have 2 codes on the account:  a withdrawl code, that Gail holds, and a 'check account' code, that any contributor the account would have.

First order of business for that account:  we should reimburse Joe Latrell for his $20 invested in the first prototype.  I'd also like to kick back at least a little money to Jeff Foust, who runs the Icepick site out of his own pocket.

C. Commercial Application
   One of the strongest arguments for the space program has always been the
benefits to society via commercial applications of innovation. Duct tape is a
good example, along with scratch resistent sun glasses and non-invasive heart
monitoring. One suggestion has been that ice fishermen might like to have one
of our probes to make getting thru the ice easier. With a business plan, we
might even be able to get backing for a company to make and sell Icepick II.
Any ideas on this?

I sent you a 'crazy concept' for another application of an Icepick, that is, creation of liquid hydrogen and oxygen storage tanks carved directly in the ice of the south pole of the Moon (trace water there), Mars, or Europa.

More to Earth, Bruce Moomaw's Extract #1 mentioned several possible uses for an ice submersible, including glacial studies, and noncontaminating surveys of Lake Vostok.  It may be possible that oil companies would have use for such a thing, at some point in the future.  Jack Reeve might have some ideas on this.

A concern I have in this regard is military applications.  Frankly, I'd prefer that we never become interesting as a military application, as it is just a headache that no one needs.

-- JHB

Please let me know ASAP about Items A and B.
Thanks
Gail