Check out the latest in gun-launched UAVs, courtesy of Draper Laboratories.
It fits into a shroud that fits into a standard 155 mm gun barrel.  Note the
high g tolerances cited at the end of the quoted patent abstract.

Here is an article from Electronics Design News:

  http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednmag/article/CA341454?industryid=2573

Seeing is believing?  Take a gander:

  http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednmag/contents/images/341454f1.pdf

The people who design these kinds of wundergadgets are not amateurs:

  http://www.metisdesign.com/team.html (See bio for Seth Kessler.)

Here is one of the patents:

---

Flyer assembly
Patent # U.S. 6,392,213; Date Issued: May 21, 2002

A flyer assembly is adapted for launching with, transit in, and deployment
from an artillery shell having a central void region extending along a
ballistic shell axis. The flyer assembly includes a jettisonable shroud and
a flyer. The shroud extends along a shroud axis, and is positionable within
the central void region with the shroud axis substantially parallel to the
shell axis. The flyer is adapted to withstand a launch acceleration force
along a flyer axis when in a first state, and to effect aerodynamic flight
when in a second state. When in the first state, the flyer is positionable
within the shroud with the flyer axis parallel to the shroud axis and the
shell axis. The flyer includes a body member disposed about the flyer axis,
and a foldable wing assembly mounted to the body member. The wing assembly
is configurable in a folded state characterized by a plurality of nested
wing segments when the flyer is in the first state. The wing assembly is
configurable in an unfolded state characterized by a substantially
uninterrupted aerodynamic surface when the flyer is in the second state. The
flyer assembly is adapted to be launched from a ballistic delivery system
such as an artillery cannon, and can thus reach a target quickly, without
expending system energy stored within the flyer. During launch, the flyer is
coupled to the shroud so as to maintain a portion of the flyer in tension
during an acceleration of the flyer along the flyer axis resulting from the
launch. The flyer assembly is adapted to withstand the high g-load and high
temperature environments of a cannon launch, and can tolerate a set-back g
load of about 16,000 g.

---

I'm working (feebly, it's true) on a book about the history of the idea of
gun launch to space.  And this is one of several supposed showstopper myths
I want to pound a stake through the heart of: the quick and easy conclusion
that gun launch means you can't put anything terribly sophisticated in the
projectile.  You can.  You just can't buy the parts down at Space Cadets R
Us.  But when has that ever been true even for conventional rocket launch?

Undoubtedly, gun launch entails design compromises that increase payload
mass over an equivalent payload for a conventional launcher.  However, at
$600/lb or less to achieve orbital velocity, doubling and even tripling the
payload mass to address higher accelerations is a non-issue in the context
of today's high launch costs.  More likely, it's a 20%-35% penalty for a
given equivalent payload.  Furthermore, launching"equivalent payloads" may
actually make little sense if such launch economies can be achieved.
Instead, you might see lots of on-orbit integration from bundles of parts,
and many more designs for satellites and probes design to withstand rather
small accelerations, such as those they'd experience from an ion drive doing
a long-term orbital insertion.

In any case, autonomous payloads of not only high electronic complexity but
high electromechanical complexity can be launched from guns.  The
significance for cheaper space probe missions can hardly be lost on readers
here.

Regards,
Michael Turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.  If you're interested in my book project, and want to help, please do
NOT send me anything except news within the last year or so.  If you found
some resource in 5 minutes, I probably found it myself at least 5 months
ago.