Hey,

On 04/15/2014 10:33 PM, Horst Gutmann wrote:
> Every conference I've attended so far had at least on or two time
> slots each day where none of the talks appealed to me and so I went
> to explore the city or just got some sleep at the hotel. This way the
> event stayed fresh and exciting to me and I didn't feel bad for
> skipping some talks if I simply didn't feel like it. That naturally
> only works to a certain extend and eventually I just want to get out
> of the conference again.

I guess that's one way to deal with it (especially in Florence!). But I wonder whether that's a way to cope with a problem: should there be time slots at a conference with 3 or 4 or more parallel tracks where none of the talks appeal to an attendee? Of course you can't please everyone, but if it happens to a lot of people you might have a problem.

When I'm at a conference I tend to want to focus on it. At the third day of a three day conference I typically notice I am getting tired. I'm glad that lightning talks tend to be slotted in then at EuroPython, because that's always a nice variety of things.

Then there's the potential issue of people who simply don't have time (or resources) to go to a conference of that length. They can of course attend it for a couple of days, but people may instead elect to go to a shorter conference instead where they can have the full experience. It's hard to get a feel for that though; EuroPython certainly has been growing in attendance, so that's an argument against that.

[snip]
> 5 days is a really long
> time, so perhaps the orgas and the EPS would be willing to experiment
> here with the format a little bit I the future? :-)

It seems to have been a slow change.

From the beginning in 2002, it had been a 3 day conference; in Charleroi, in Gothenburg, in 2006 at CERN and in 2007 and 2008 in Vilnius there was a 3 day conference too.

In 2009 in Birmingham there were 3 main conference days, plus 3 tutorial days before it. This might be the introduction of the tutorial days; it's possible there were tutorial days at some previous EuroPython, but certainly not all the time -- I find it hard to google up the schedules now.

I misremember EuroPython 2010 in Birmingham (the last time I attended); I thought it was like 2009, but best I can find now it had 4 days of main conference, plus two days of tutorials in the weekend before it. But I cannot Google up the time table so I'm not 100% sure.

I can find an announcement from 2010/11/18 for the conference in 2011 where the tentative schedule was 2 tutorial days with 4 conference days, the same as in 2010 in Birmingham. Then the dates were shifted (2011/02/17) to have everything from monday to friday (5 days, talk days in parallel with tutorial).

Since I last attended in 2010 and actually forgot it was 4 days in Birmingham and was used to 3 day conferences before it, the 5 day massive schedule looked rather sudden, but it was not.

Each new format was a reasonable small change from the format of the year before. Each change had a motivation, but I wonder whether the final effect was entirely intentional.

Regards,

Martijn