  1) Re: How much is enough? (long) (was: RE: Epiphany on Range Issue)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Currie Scooter
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EVLN(% ZEV law is part of the evil empire %)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: What kind of Hair Dryer for DC Defrost/Heat..
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) bad battery questions
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Electric Avenues
  8) Re: Electric Avenues
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Massachusetts Alt Energy Convoy =?iso-8859-1?Q?=96?= Oct. 26-27, 2002
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Massachusetts_Alt_Energy_Convoy_=96_Oct._26-2?=
 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?7,_2002?=
        by Seth Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Is it worth replacing bad batteries?
        by "Mark Hastings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Massachusetts_Alt_Energy_Convoy_=96_Oct._26-2?=
 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?7,_2002?=
        by Seth Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: bad battery questions
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Is it worth replacing bad batteries?
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Rudman reg madness
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Load tester for 6,8 &12 volt use.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) OT: NiMH AA batteries
        by "Shelton, John D. AW2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: bad battery questions
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) I heart OPEC
        by "Shelton, John D. AW2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) It's a Rubber-burnin', Fuse-poppin', Clean-Meanin' Machine!
        (long) (part I)
        by Geoff Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I agree, and have even simpler definition for "enough":
Enough if when you don't think this is an EV and use it as you'd use
an ICE (for daily job of course, not vacations).

So "enough" is different for everyone.

Victor

Roy LeMeur wrote:

> Some might find this new scooter of interest:
> http://www.electricscootermag.com/WeeklyVision> /09252002.htm
>

> This is the new Currie F-18 fully suspended
> scooter with front and rear
> brakes. I am currently upgrading this one for Electric
> Scooter Magazine.
>
> Currie Technologies and the motor manufacturer both claim this motor
> w/integral controller should have no problem operating on 36V
> instead of
> 24V.
>
> I am making a new battery box to hold 3 Hawker 12V 14AH
> batteries, we hope
> to get close to 30 mph and 15+ mile range with this setup.

Hi Roy,

I've been lurking on the Zappy list for a while now.  (I'd rather not
sign up for a Yahoo account.)  I'm amazed at the speeds some are getting
from modified e-scoots (up to 70 mph!).  I'm equally amazed that there
is no discussion whatsoever of the ramifications of those speeds.

In my opinion, 30 mph speeds get you into motorcycle helmet territory.
(Did you know the impact speed for Snell testing of a motorcycle helmet
is around 25 mph?).  Anyone who dismounts at that speed the hard way
will quickly discover the value of gloves and other protective clothing
as well.

30 mph is double the design speed.  That means four times the energy is
involved in braking (or crashing).  Are brake upgrades planned?  I've
seen no discussions of braking techniues to mitigate the probelms of
short wheelbase and high c/g.  Easy to deal with, but still no
discussion.

Suspension is fairly new to the scooter world, and the component quality
is still a bit low.  What does the higher speed do to handling?  Most
scooter-dudes would answer that question with, "Huh?", which also amazes
me.  If I had an e-scooter and some scooter friends, you can bet we'd
have a parking lot road racing course set up in no time. ;^)

Happy scootin'
OT - If the law gets rewritten so relatively easy every time there
are "difficulties" to implement previous version, what's the point
to pass it in a first place?

CA can pass any ZEV laws then it wants. They're going to be
changed anyway (because of "difficulties"), so auto
industry/govt can do nothing, and then justify difficulties.

Very convenient arrangement.

Victor

Bruce EVangel Parmenter wrote:

> [...]
> car dealerships to sue early this year.
>
> In June, U.S. District Judge Robert E. Coyle in Fresno
> issued a preliminary injunction suspending the ZEV program
> pending a full trial. State regulators appealed, and on
> Wednesday federal lawyers filed a 29-page brief backing the
> industry's position.
>
> The question of whether a state clean-air program has tread
> on the federal government's authority over mileage standards
> is doubly important because that is also the main legal
> objection to a new state law to limit greenhouse gas
> emissions from cars within the next several years.
>
> "You can rest assured that a lawsuit will be filed," said
> Eron Shosteck, a spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile
> Manufacturers, which represents 12 companies that together
> make 90 percent of the cars sold in the U.S.
>
> The only way to reduce carbon dioxide from tailpipes is to
> burn less gas, which means either reducing the number of
> miles that Californians drive or increasing fuel efficiency,
> Shosteck said. He said it could be years before the legal
> challenge to the greenhouse gas law is mounted.
>
> "There is no technology, no device you can bolt onto a
> vehicle to make it produce less carbon dioxide," Shosteck
> said.
>
> Rukeyeser of the state EPA said the ZEV program and the
> greenhouse gas law are meant to clean up pollution, not
> require mileage improvements.
>
> "The state's regulations are about pollution," he said.
> "It's never been our intention, and it still isn't, to
> require more fuel efficiency."
>
> Supporters of the ZEV program say that although battery-
> powered cars have not taken off as they had hoped, the
> requirement has spurred the popularity of hybrid cars and
> provided a major boost to another type of electric car, the
> fuel cell vehicle.
>
> Earlier next year, state air-quality regulators plan to
> re-examine the entire ZEV program in light of the legal
> difficulties, problems with battery powered cars and the
> unexpectedly rapid development non- polluting fuel cells.
>
> "Fuel cell and hybrid technology is a decade ahead of where
> it would have been in the absence of zero-emission vehicle
> regulations," California Gov. Gray Davis said in a
> statement. "I am disappointed that the federal government
> would intervene with our efforts to protect our air
> quality."
> --- ©2002, Contra Costa Times (Walnut Creek, Calif.).
> http://www.bayarea.com.  Distributed by Knight
> Ridder/Tribune Information Services.
> -
>
> =====
> ' ____
> ~/__|o\__
> '@----- @'---(=
> . http://geocities.com/brucedp/
> . EV List Editor & RE newswires
> . (originator of the EV ascci art above)
> =====

> Yahoo! - We Remember
> 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives lost
The people who "get" the argument
that all it has to do is meet your needs, are the people who could be convinced
that an electric car could work for them. If they don't get this, then
IMHO, it won't matter what the range is--they won't see the use of an EV.
Very well put Mark.

Neon
Lee wrote:
The specific ones I have were removed from "Pelonis" brand ceramic
heaters. Pelonis was among the first (if not THE first) manufacturer to
make ceramic heaters. These are the "original design" ceramic elements;
about 4" square and 1/2" thick, and look like a miniature car radiator,
but with 5 electrical connections along one side.
These sound like the 2 I have in my Pickup. A quick test for a ceramic heater is to hook it up on the workbench with a paper towel on top (out of the heater, no airflow). Watch the amps, they should quickly drop under 2. The paper should not scorch. Now, I recommend you quit abusing the heater that way as you may end up having to buy a 3rd one (experience). For this same reason I recommend you wire them in so the heater fan has to be on before they can be turned on.

Neon
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Well, I have found out why the voltage in my Pickup tends to be soft. I did the deepest cycle yet in my Pickup, about 1/2 of capacity. I could keep the pack over 100 volts (120v system), but I really had to be careful. Resting voltage was still OK, at just over 120v.

I checked each battery voltage when I got home. 6.09, 6.12, 6.11, 4.56!! I continued to finish the check, all where pretty tight except that one. Well, I figured that a quick check of the SG would find a dead cell or at least low numbers. No, that battery and the others around it all read around the 1.22 range. One cell had a few tiny bubbles rising in it (with no load at this point), I figure it is the bad one, but the SG seems fine for the state of charge. So I tried turning on the heater on high. The voltage on that battery dropped to about 1.2 volts (and rising, but the negative terminal was still the negative). Clearly that stopped the load testing (the same load was putting other batteries right at/few hundredths above 6v).

OK, any ideas as to what happened to this battery? Clearly I need to replace it. The pack has about 20 cycles on it, most very shallow. Hopefully a new one won't get to burned breaking in.

Oh, charging the pack now. After a few minutes at the beginning with it still reading under 6v its voltage is matching the rest of the pack now (10 amp charge, Lester on 120vac). I do know this battery likes to read the highest late in charge (when the pack gets to about 150v). However, most of the time its voltage fits right in with the rest of the pack, perhaps a couple 100ths of a volt lower.

Neon
4.
ELECTRIC AVENUES?
What do Detroit billionaires do with their cash after they retire
from the upper echelons of the auto industry?  The answer, in the
cases of Lee Iacocca and Robert Stempel, may surprise you:  They
start electric-car companies.  Stempel, the former head of General
Motors, helped create the emissions-reducing catalytic converter in
1966 and has always had a bit of an environmental bent.  Now, as
chair of Energy Conversion Devices, he is developing a prototype
electric car -- one that will be a "real vehicle," he noted, as
opposed to electric cars designed to go at slow speeds for short
distances.  The latter is more the territory of former Chrysler CEO
Iacocca -- who, unlike Stempel, has been drawn into the
electric-vehicle market by the profit motive, not by an environmental
ethic.  As founder and president of Lido Motors USA, Iacocca is
selling a neighborhood electric vehicle that can go 25 mph and travel
for up to 40 miles on a six-hour charge.  He hopes the car will catch
on among early retirees and residents of gated communities.

straight to the source:  New York Times, Braden Phillips, 23 Oct 2002
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/forward.pl?forward_id=615>
I have alot of respect for what Stempel has done for the EV,
in fact that may partially have something to do with him
being pushed out as CEO.  He still travels in stile, at least
the last time I seen him at the EV races in Arizona at the APS Electric
500 in 1995.  He had a 36 foot motorhome towing an SUV and satellite
dishes on top.  Not bashing Rob, just pointing out if you have the
money you will use it :-).
Maybe he's converting that motorhome to hybrid :-)
Rod

Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
[...]

So far, 4 hybrids, 2 biodielsels, and ONE electric is confirmed (I'm not
confirmed as I have a scheduling conflict). More are expected to join...
note that this is put together by the "Green Party" (no affiliation).